• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

supplements/vitamins, help with depression stress please

trll

Bluelighter
Hi there,
Me and a couple of friends all struggled through long hard uk winter, we took too many drugs, valium coke opiates alcohol weed etc... we feeling run down and low, stressed and demotivated to get the most from life.
I would really be greatful for advice on supplements/vitamins that would boost seratonin, imune system, anything that helps put back the zing. Am bored of being fed up.
many thanx Bx

Vitamin C, go on a sunbed, but most of all - St Johns Wort tincture (from Holland & Barrett's) EVERYDAY, until it gets sunny enought to call early/mid spring, and enough regular sleep!!

Do some research in the future though, aye?

^Using a sunbed is terrible advice. Try taking a vitamin D supplement instead.

A good multivitamin, fish oil, and a good diet can make all of the difference. What is your diet currently like? What is your level/schedule of physical activity and exercise?

i think focusing on a well balanced and healthy diet, in addition to 90-120 mins of exercise a day is more important than specific vitamins and minerals(although i'm sure these will definitely help!)

Thank you,
I am doing some research, This is research, asking for others opinions and gathering knowlege.
Almost no exercise, and mixed diet, I personally lost wieght and was unwell with nagging cold /cough/lost my voice, sorethroat, etc.. We ended last summer with a death, shock and depression. And found it hard to recover, the stress didnt seem to ease, only just this last week have we realised just how low we have got.
I feel there must be things that would help to give a lift and and kick start a healthier way of life.
.Lucid., thank you both those supplements look interesting.

look into piracetam. and fish oils, all the vitamins n stuff people are recommending are good but those are 2 big ones that will help alot. also just try n hit the gym once in awhile, ur body will deffinitley thank you if you can get it in shape

.Lucid., thank you both those supplements look interesting.

They are the chemical precursors to the neurotransmitters responsible for pleasure and happiness, serotonin and dopamine.. I think you'll find them very useful, especially for recovering from depression induced by drug use.

As jam said, it would usually take more than a pill to get out of this beyond the temporary.

When you're in a rut, you need to pull yourself out. That is the portion that takes more willpower than anything-- it is half the battle.

If hanging out with certain people sucks you into a lifestyle that leads to unproductiveness or lethargic days, try to take a break. Create a routine that is encourages "lightness" and a clear mind-- wake up early, do not overeat, maintain a good diet, sleep early, get exercise. If your friends are open to wholesome activities-- physical things like gardening, hiking or biking, or even corny things like, having picnics when it is sunny-- get yourselves out of the funk together! It is a good change and can add another dimension to your friendships.

I have found that the emphasis on health is contagious, and eventually seeing other people get their shit together is a great motivation.

Getting out of binges usually requires something pivotal for me like one hard workout-- otherwise my head is hazy for weeks. Get to a point where you remember how awesome it feels to have a clear and creative mind-- often you will tend to cover dullness of the mind with more drug use. Exercise, drink lots of water, clear your mind and your body of muck-- often your first round of intense cardio will have you expelling mucus and/or waste air in your body.